Tuesday, April 3, 2007

A Lesson from my Dad

I remember walking into the grocery store with my dad when I was about six years old. I was holding his hand and practically running to keep up with him (he's six feet, four inches tall). "Someday you're going to get married," he told me. "You just make sure you marry someone with Jesus in his heart."
"I know, I know," was my response. This wasn't the first time my dad mentioned that standard for my future husband, and it most definitely wouldn't be the last. Even into my college years I heard the reminder in my dad's simple phrasing, "He has to have Jesus in his heart." Because I started hearing this message so young, and it continued throughout my growing up, a standard was engraved on my heart.
Thinking back, every boy I ever liked (even at the age of 8) was also a believer. As I became old enough to date, "Jesus in his heart" was my number one requirement. And of course, the man I married has a strong love for the Lord and desire to serve Him. With my dad's words ringing in my mind, I would have never considered anything else.
My dad didn't just pray for my future husband, he made sure I knew what to be looking for. He lived out Deuteronomy 6:6 and 7. "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." The Biblical truth of being equally yoked was mentioned at any time-while walking into the grocery store, driving in the car, or watching TV.
A conversation with a mom after church on Sunday reminded me of one of the best lessons my dad ever taught me. Looking at her six year old son made me realize how young I was when I started to think about my future husband. I looked the six-year-old in the eyes and told him, "You make sure whoever you marry has Jesus in her heart."
He looked me in the eyes and nodded, a confused look on his face. "OK, Teacher Jill."

No comments:

Counter
Sony Style USA